Our friend and E4A family member, Lita Lewis
who you may know as @FollowTheLita
on Instagram has graciously contributed her 10 Fitness Habits that we all Need to Adopt. Take a quick read.
- Calm down: Too much stress can contribute to a potbelly. Stress increases levels of hormone Cortisol that seems to direct fat to our middle. To keep levels low, try this 5 to 10 minute stress reducer: Sit, breath deeply, slowly and focus on a clear mind. Focus on your inner Zen, find that peace and continue with deep steady breathing.Woo-freakin-saa!
- Skip the alcohol: That drink with dinner may be part of the reason your jeans are too tight, don’t play yourself now. Alcohol also tends to raise cortisol levels, sending fat to your belly. Ugh! For those that can’t fathom the idea of cutting that glass of red out completely, fill your glass half way. HALF WAY.
- Stop smoking: “It keeps me thin,” proclaim many smokers. But the truth is that smokers tend to have more abdominal fat than nonsmokers, ah-huh, tis true! (The stress hormone cortisol seems to be the culprit here too.) And seriously, smoking is just gross – CUT IT OUT!
- Eat more fiber: Not only is fiber great for overall weight loss (it fills you up so you don’t eat as much), it also prevents constipation so you doo-doo more regularly, yes, a good thing! To stay regular, aim for 22 to 25 g of fiber a day by eating more whole grains, fruits, and vegetables; or try a fiber supplement such as Metamucil.
- Drink up: For premenstrual bloating, drink lots and lots of WATER. This will actually help flush away bloating, not make it worse as some tend to think.
- Keep bones strong: Osteoporosis can lead to fractured bones in your spine, causing you to slump. That shortens your abdominal cavity, giving your belly no place to go but out, eww. Get that calcium in every day from the foods you eat and/or from supplements. Ladies ages 49 & below you want 1,000 mg of calcium per day, 50+ cougars your ticket is 1,200-1,500 mg!
- Get your heart rate up: All the ab exercizes in the world won’t do a thing unless you get rid of the fat hiding your abdominal muscles. The best way is aerobic exercize for 45 to 60 minutes, five times a week. Yea, it’s like that, go – no excuses!
- Tuck that tummy: Imagining there’s a “magnet pulling your belly button back toward your spine. Practice the tuck until it becomes comfortable, and soon it will come naturally–like breathing – Do it every chance you get. That’s how habits start.
- Hit the weights: This is not rocket science. Make the middle burn by hitting the weight room. Ladies, don’t be intimidated by the wanna Hulks up in there, they’ll move if you signal them too (just as you do your pet dogs, trust me). The weight room has no gender restrictions! Remember this; lean muscle helps burn fat! It’s true so don’t be afraid to gain a lil’ muscle.
- Get a bonus ab workouts: Stand as much as possible when doing weight-lifting exercises. That way your abs work too – They help to balance and stabilize your body. Concentrate on keeping your abs tight and maintaining good posture, but don’t hold your breath coz last time I checked it wasn’t cool to pass out in the gym!